Don’t forget to vote in the 2nd annual Modest Medusa character popularity poll!
Yep. That is how that conversation would go.
5 Bucks says she’s into Twilight
Oh dear. Modest looks significantly less excited about this conversation than her friends do…
Vampires and Dragons are predators that exclusively or mainly prey on humans. Yet somehow people like them. I am not sure why and wonder if other animals would think humans are stupid because of it. Because they’re elegant or something? That was a major theme in Terry Pratchett’s “Lords and Ladies” discworld story, that humans remember to fight against creatures that would harm them when they don’t like how they look, like trolls for example, but if they’re elegant then they only remember that attribute.
I think that’s reductive on the part of dragons in folklore. Most were not out to eat humans but had a protector or creator status in many cultures. Western style vampires weren’t attractive until recently but there’s always been tales of feral beauty and Visage of terror. I think deathly beauty they gets admiration like other apex predators- tigers, eagles. They are gorgeous efficient killing things that fulfill their role perfectly and it’d a little bit awe inducing. It’s also more “romantic” of an idea in terms of the idea of flirting with danger, being singled out and an up close and personal dance with the devil what iif scenario.
Creatures that mindlessly slaughter or create grotesque mutilation that aren’t for sustenance are the most terrifying. Then those that are retribution based. Then pure human hunters.. Then those that are warnings about looks,greed, etc or in evil trickster status which vzmpires coincide here NOW. Then are the inbetweens in general where it depends on their mood or how you handle it.
Oh poor Modest D: She does NOT like this conversation…
Only the coolest, most handsome enemies will do.
Ok, now I’m a bit lost. What has happened to the “my holiday” essay she read in front of a class? I thought the back in Yeld was a retelling of it?
That was back after spring break. Here’s a timeline for Modest’s school career (everything thats happened in Season 5 to now)
– Joined 1st grade halfway through the year after Winter break (beginning of Season 5)
– Snake Hair bit Gina, causing Modest to be suspended from school in early Spring, right before Spring Break (end of Season 5)
– While suspended from school, Modest takes a trip to Yeld. The trip takes a little more than a week, and she was suspended from school for about a week before that anyway. When she returns to school after spring break she gives her report. (Season 6)
– Modest and Jake go to an anime convention! This is in late Spring. Toward the end of the school year Jake and Ekans throw Modest a surprise birthday party. (comics in between Seasons 6 and 7)
– Season 8 is a flashback season with Marah, so that doesn’t count. But theres a short story where Modest helps Jake move his work studio. This takes place over the summer.
– Season 9 starts with the first day of school in the the Fall. Modest is entering 2nd grade. Ekans is entering 3rd grade.
Ah, ok. It was so long ago that I get this stuff mixed up. Still, shouldn’t then the class know she has enemies?
IDk how well kids pay attention to other kid’s reports. I mean, I sat through hundreds as both a kid and a teacher, and I don’t remember any of them.
I think the question is more “why doesn’t she know all this given the spring break essay”
I would imagine the answer is that what Modest actually read was probably a really redacted version of what we saw, just as a matter of having to condense it into a school report, and Jenny’s status as her former enemy, and her Dad being a vampire weren’t really important points to get into, given those plot points happened in her prior trip to Yeld, rather than her spring break visit.
The report was probably more like:
“My Mermaid friend with one eye took me home.
I visited my sisters. These are their names.
I met my aunt. She is very big and a snake.
I learned some magic and fought a scary Fairy.
I saw my best friend. My aunt told me I had to go home.”
On a side note, heeey… I just noticed Meg’s speech bubbles aren’t colored anymore.
and he killed her last best friend
But she got better!
NAME — Get a Gravatar
Notify me of new posts by email.
©2011-2023 Jake Richmond | Layout by jaPoshi | Powered by WordPress with ComicPress
| Hosted on VisionMule | Subscribe: RSS
| Back to Top ↑