– The Modest Medusa Season 3 Kickstarter ends on Saturday evening. We’re at the tail end of it, but let me go ahead and walk through all the options for those of you who are still thinking about pledging or might want to upgrade your pledge. And if you haven’t watched the video please give it a look. I think it turned out cute, even if it was a rush job!
– The book will include the entire 175 page Season 3 story, plus a new 10 page story, author commentary and a sketchbook section. In addition to this we’ve also unlocked 12 pages of bonus comics through stretch goals, and there’s a good chance that by the time the Kickstarter ends we’ll have another 3 or 6 pages. So the book will be at least 200 pages, and likely longer! Each book is signed and comes with an original sketch!
– There’s lots of great rewards available in addition to the book. You can get a poster, a Medusa tote bag, a lunchbox, a hand made plush Medusa pillow and original art! Each pledge of $5 or more also comes with 4 stickers, including a special Medusa/Pacific Rim sticker that I haven’t finished the art for yet. Here’s images for all the other stuff so you can see what it looks like:
Special sticker! I made a special Medusa as Nausicaa sticker that all international backers will get for free to help make up for high shipping costs. I’m also giving the sticker to every person who pledges to the Kickstarter and backs my Patreon campaign! Check out my Patreon page here.
– Original art! All the Guest Appearance slots are gone, but there’s still plenty of original art rewards available. For $200 you’ll get the book and some other cool stuff plus an original hand colored 9 x 12 illustration of your favorite Modest Medusa character! If you’re looking to pledge big this is the way to go!
– Book Bundles! I’m you don’t have the first two Modest Medusa books yet now is a great time to get them! The “Double Pack” Reward lets you choose any two Modest Medusa books, while the “Triple Pack” Rewards will get you all three books! These will be signed with an original sketch. You can also add Season 1 and 2 books to any pledge for $17 each (or $23 each if you live outside the U.S.).
– Dice! My friends at Tinderbox Entertainment have created some amazing Modest Medusa dice! You can add dice to any pledge for just $2 each. Here’s what they look like:
– Special team ups! I share studio space with Ben Hsu, Jaymz Bernard and Barry Deutsch. Ben and our friend Elaine are currently doing a Kickstarter for their comic Licensed Heroes. Elaine and I decided to team up to draw a special print featuring characters from both of our comics. Elaine drew it and I colored it. The only way to get this print is to pledge $25 to both the Modest Medusa and Licensed Heroes Kickstarters. That’ll get you both books, and we’ll include the signed print as a bonus! Here’s what it looks like:
Jaymz is running a Kickstarter for her romance comic Split Screen so we decided to do the same thing. Jaymz and I both drew and colored our own characters, and Barry jumped in to draw his Hereville characters as well as Appa from Avatar: The Last Airbender (because he’s been watching the series recently). It turned out pretty cool! You’ll get this print if you pledge $25 to both the Split Screen and Modest Medusa Kickstarters. That’ll get you both books as well as the signed print.
So to get both prints all you have to do is pledge $25 to all three Kickstarters!
– Stretch Goals! We still have lots of stretch goals to meet! at $17,000, $18,000 and $19,000 we’ll unlock new 3 page strips for the book featuring Medusa’s sisters, the Pirates and Chocodiles! At $20,000 I’ll do an extra 10 page story for the book. That’s tons of extra content to unlock that’ll only make the book better for everyone!
There’s more. This is a little weird maybe, but at $18,500 I’ll get a big Medusa tattoo on my arm. Pretty crazy! If we get to $21,000 my WHOLE FAMILY will get Full Metal Alchemist Homunculus tattoos! That’s me, Will, Nick and Katie, all with matching tattoos. And we’ll take pictures and you can make fun of us online!
– Okay, that’s it! I’ll see you guys on the other side of this on Monday!
Custody Officer: How the hell were we supposed to know?! How the hell is this even happening?!?! Pokemon is just a freaking game franchise for freak’s sake!!! It’s NOT REAL!!!!!
Station Commander: Tell that to the freaking Wartortle that has this whole wing pinned down. Our bullets are NOT EFFECTIVE against it, and if it evolves here, it’s gonna take the place apart. Half our officers have fainted trying to take it down, and we can’t bring any of them round. We’ve got one chance left-
Geeky Kid (from outside): Hey Dad! You there?! I brought my Pokemon kit along like you said, and I’ve already defeated that Charmander. Where’s the ‘Tortle?
Station Commander: We’re saved! In here, Son!!
Modest (from outside): Hi, I’m a cute medusa girl! You’re gonna be rife with boy cooties, but I’ll let you kiss me anyway ‘cos you’ve got so many Pokemons. I might even let you team up with me…
Station Commander: …damn. All right, you win! We’ll release the prisoners! *sob*
Mini fan fiction!
That guard has never watched the cartoon. At some point someone will suggest, “Maybe our Pokemon can help!” and next thing you know Charmander has melted the lock while Bulbasaur ties up the guards.
That little girl needs to watch Ducktales. Then she’s be more knowledgeable of hiding files and grenades in cakes.
I have a feeling Modest is going to be fairly popular during her prison visits just for bringing some weird levity to things.
Also 28 hours to raise 300 dollars to the next stretch goal I don’t know who else to advertise too.
They trust poke’mon? Those idiots.
I wonder how many packages of cigarettes a deck of pokemon cards is worth…?
Well, you need two decks to play.
seventeen thousand and forty two dollars Jake. Given your past experiences with the last two kickstarters you should know how much do you actually have? Call me cynical but I assume that some of the backers might end up not having enough or backing out. How much do you think you actually have? Knowing your honorableness though just us reaching it means there will be one more goal in the finished project but still do you think even counting people who back out that you’ll still have 17k?
Sorry if I seem cynical I can’t sleep with my tooth hurting the way it does. I’m going to be adding my own payment to my card today though so WOO for that. I even got permission this year.
My tooth is hurting today too. I feel your pain.
Kickstarter takes about 8%, so there’s always that to consider. And people always end up backing out. It just happens. It gets to the end of the month and they realize they just didn’t have quite as much money as they thought they would, or they’re less excited about the project now than they were when they pledged. Or something happened and now they just can’t afford it. That’s fine. I understand that. There’s a frustration when you get an email from Kickstarter saying that someone dropped or decreased their pledge, but you can’t blame the person. They wanted to support your work, and that means a lot. Stuff happens.
It is depressing though. During the last few days of Feb I had a bunch of people drop or decrease their pledges. You may have noticed that the Kickstarter total seemed like it was frozen in place for about a week. Actually it was going up and down. We lost about $2500 in pledges over 3 days. Just people reconsidering the pledges at the end of the month. That was depressing, but not really surprising. It happens. We actually ended up hitting the $14,500 stretch goal 3 separate times!
Anyway, the Kickstarter is doing well. The last 24 hours has been an amazing surge, and I think we’re going to end up with a really great book.
So Jake since the books won’t be ready until this august presumably should I wait to think up a custom sketch request maybe see if anything in the upcoming Walking Dead Game episodes inspires me. Or would you rather have it sooner?
I’ll start asking people for their requests around May.
Secret Stretch Goal for 17,500
Jake takes Marah and his Sister out to dinner and has a conversation about their adventures in Yeld as if it was real just loud enough to be overheard by others without being obnoxious.
I think we’ve done that before.
This will be the Podcast edition.
Funny enough, you actually can make a shiv out of pokemon cards – soak the cards until they’re in a paper mache-like consistency, mash them all together, sculpt the mache into shape and then leave them under a heavy weight (a book or a flat stone, for example) for a while and you have a brittle, but effective shiv that can’t be spotted with a metal detector.
You’d be surprised how resourceful convicts are. There’s a reason why guards don’t let them have shoe laces, belts, or even, yes, heaps and heaps of newspaper.
Don’t drop the soap, Jake!